Chinese: 9:00 a.m. – noon
2 Divinity Avenue, Room 18 (1st floor Auditorium)
see below for information on literary Chinese
Japanese: 10:00 a.m. – noon
Northwest Building B103
Korean: 10:00 a.m. – noon
Sever Hall 103
Vietnamese: 9:00 a.m. – noon
5 Bryant Street, first floor seminar room
NOTE: Students must bring a Harvard ID or other photo ID to take a placement exam.
Literary Chinese Assessment
All students who want to take classes in Literary Chinese (first-year: Chinese 106a, 106b or second-year: Chinese 107a, 107b) are strongly encouraged to take the assessment, with the following two exceptions:
- Students who have little or no background in Literary Chinese but who have taken one year or more of modern Chinese (or those with an equivalent knowledge of Chinese characters) may take Chinese 106a without taking the assessment.
- Students who have completed Chinese 106b at Harvard may proceed on to Chinese 107a without taking the assessment.
Students who wish to take Chinese 107a and have had one year of Literary Chinese at another university (or the equivalent thereof) are strongly encouraged to take the first-year assessment. Those who pass the first-year assessment will be placed into Chinese 107a.
Students with more than one year of training in Literary Chinese are strongly encouraged to take the second-year assessment. Those who pass the second-year assessment will place out of Chinese 107 and will be ready to take seminars involving a significant amount of reading in Literary Chinese.
Students who wish to take the assessment should sign up in advance by emailing David Sena at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your name and year of study, and describe your prior study of Literary Chinese. Indicate whether you intend to take the first- or the second-year assessment.
- EALC graduate students may use the test results to satisfy a language requirement.
- Chinese 106 and Chinese 107 may be used toward the Chinese Literature Citation.
- Please note that students are allowed to use a dictionary for the second-year assessment but not for the first-year assessment.